Uppingham School was founded by Archdeacon Robert Johnson in 1584 with a hospital, or almshouse. The original schoolroom still exists in Uppingham whilst the hospital building is now incorporated in the school library.
In the 17th, 18th and early 19th centuries, Uppingham remained a small school of around 30-60 pupils with two masters. Over the centuries the school has expanded and the boarding school, which became co-educational in 1973 with its first girl pupil, now has over 750.
The UK’s first school Director of Music was appointed in 1865 and the school’s music has gained a distinguished reputation. Many of the school’s outstanding instrumental staff are drawn from professional orchestras and conservatoires.
In 2006, Nicholson & Co. was commissioned to rebuild the organ in Uppingham School Chapel. The original organ had been built by Harrison & Harrison in 1914 and was re-built by J W Walker & Sons in 1964.
It was proposed to make a new organ using the best of the existing pipework augmented by new pipework in a similar style. The organ was to be divided between two handsome cases facing each other in the old chancel. The main manual divisions (Great and Swell) and Pedal were to be housed within the existing organ chamber and a compact case bracketed from the south wall was to house the Choir organ.
The new Chapel organ was unveiled in September 2007.