Stockholm, Sweden – Sofia Church
Sofia Church in Stockholm was named after Sofia of Nassau, Queen of Sweden from 1872 to 1907. It is one of the major churches in Stockholm and was designed for an architectural contest in 1899 and inaugurated in 1906.
Nicholson & Co. completed a new three-manual, 58-stop organ for the church in 2013. The casework and some of the pipework was retained from the previous organ, which had been built in 1906 by the Swedish organ builder Magnusson, and rebuilt by them in 1951. The new organ has two identical consoles, one fixed in the gallery and one mobile on the ground floor.
The music department of Sofia Church has 12 choirs and approximately 400 singers who are regularly active in services and concerts. With its well-established music programme in the Anglican choral tradition, the church was keen to find a renowned English organ building company to construct the new instrument.
To view or download the specification, please click here.