St Clements Console 806x1024

Sandwich – St Clement’s Church

The medieval Parish Church was formerly the election place of the Mayors of Sandwich and there are many carved headstones in its ancient and extensive churchyard. Originally, the church was cruciform in plan, as was characteristic of Norman buildings, but the addition of chantries and chapels produced the present shape and dimensions.

The previous organ had been built in 1950 by Alfred E Davies & Sons Ltd, at a time, just after the war years, when many component parts were in short supply. Having received little in the way of maintenance for over forty years, it was in need of major attention.

In 1995 Nicholson constructed a new two-manual organ with mechanical action to keys and drawstops with a dual system solid state transmission and capture system, enabling pistons to be used as divisionals, generals or reversibles.

Specification

Great
Open Diapason
Stopped Diapason
Principal
Nason Flute
Fifteenth
Mixture IV
Trumpet

Pedal
Subbass
Diapason
Flute
Trombone


8
8
4
4
2

8


16
8
8
16

Swell
Diapason
Gedeckt
Viola
Vox Angelica
Gemshorn
Sesquialtera II
Plein Jeu IV
Double Horn
Oboe
Tremulant

Couplers
Great to Pedal
Swell to Great
Swell to Pedal

8
8
8
8
4


16
8