St James Abinger Common Console 812x1024

Abinger Common – St James’ Church

It is believed that a church stood on the site at Abinger Common prior to the Norman Conquest. Although the original was probably of wood construction, a stone building was erected in the early 12th century with additions in the 13th century.

In August 1944, a flying bomb exploded near to the church, bringing down the belfry, the roof of the nave and parts of the wall, although the 13th century chapel remained more or less intact. The two-manual organ, which had been installed by A Kirkland (London) in 1913, was destroyed.

The rebuilding of the church was completed in 1951 and an electronic organ was installed. However, the church suffered a second disaster when struck by lightning in June 1964, with fire causing extensive damage to the tower, roof and some of the furnishings.

In 1991, Nicholson & Co built a new two-manual, 15-stop pipe organ which was dedicated by the Bishop of Guildford. The organ, with mechanical key and stop action, is housed in an oak case.

Specification

Great
Open Diapason
Stopped Flute
Principal
Quint
Fifteenth
Trumpet


Well
Gedeckt
Salicional
Unda Maris (T.C.)
Gemshorn
Mixture III 15.19.22
Fagott
Tremulant

8
8
4
22/3
2
8



8
8
8
4

16

Pedal
Subbass
Flute (ext.)
Choral Bass


Couplers
(hitchdown pedals)
Swell to Great
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal

16
8
4