Blackwood – St Margaret’s Church
The village of Blackwood has a history steeped in the industrial roots of iron and coal working. This led to the development of the Sirhowy Tramroad which opened in 1805. The village continued to expand and further collieries opened and houses were built. In 1860, Parliament enacted legislation for the conversion of the tramroad into a railway with the proviso that the line was diverted away from the main street. Probably due to the growth of Blackwood and the distance to the Parish Church at Bedwellty, a chapel of ease was built in 1876 and dedicated to St Margaret of Antioch. An extension, consisting of the present chancel and Vicar’s vestry was completed in 1891 with the addition of the choir vestry in 1960.
In 1993, Nicholson & Co provided details for a new mechanical action pipe organ to replace the current failing organ at St Margaret’s Church, Blackwood. Nicholson worked in consultation with Frank Bradbeer BA(Arch) Lond, RIBA, FRSA who also designed the fine coloured case.
This organ by Nicholson was opened in November 1994. It is situated in a chamber on the south side of the chancel. The key action is entirely mechanical with electric drawstops and the addition of a small detached manual console for playing selected stops of the Great Organ from the nave. The action for this additional feature is electric.
Compass of Manuals: 58 notes
Compass of Pedals: 30 notes
Pitch – C = 523.3 (A = 440) cps @ 62°F (16.7°C)
Mixture IV 126.96.36.199
Cimbel III 26.29.33
Swell to Pedal
Swell to Great
Great to Pedal