IMG 0620

Twyning – St Mary Magdalene’s Church

This Grade II* Listed Anglican church was built in the 12th century. The perpendicular was extensively restored in the 15th century and the chancel rebuilt in 1867-8 by John Middleton.

Breathing fresh life into organs built by our founder, John Nicholson, always gives us particular pleasure. The organ at St Mary Magdalene’s is a particularly fine example, being the last organ completed under the supervision of John Nicholson (1815–1895). It was built in 1886 when the factory was located in Palace Yard, Worcester.

The organ has survived in original condition except for the introduction of electric blowing and the conversion of the swell pedal from the original trigger to a balanced type, carried out during a minor overhaul by J W Walker & Sons in 1967. The reeds were also revoiced at this time.

The striking casework shows how effectively a simple pipe display and wrought iron can be decorated. Soundly and sensibly constructed, the organ has had little attention other than regular tuning and a very occasional cleaning.

The organ has now had a thorough historic restoration. The reeds have been returned to their original tonality, all perished leather has been replaced, and the whole organ put in first-class condition for another century of service as a splendid example of our founder’s work.

Specification

Manuals C to g3 (56 notes) – Pedals C to f1 (30 notes)

Pedal
Open Diapason
Bourdon
Principal
  Great to Pedals
  Swell to Pedals

Great
Open Diapason
Clarabella
Keraulophon
Dulciana
Principal
Harmonic Flute
Fifteenth
Trumpet
Cremona  from c
  Swell to Great


16
16
8




8
8
8
8
4
4
2
8
8
Swell
Bourdon
Open Diapason
Lieblich Gedact
Gamba
Voix Celeste  from c
Principal
Wald Flute
Piccolo
Mixture  17.19.22
Cornopean
Oboe

16
8
8
8
8
4
4
2
III
8
8

Gallery
After restoration