Originally built by William Hill in 1865 on a west gallery, it was moved to the north choir position in 1910 and converted from tracker to tubular pneumatic by Rushworth & Dreaper in 1925. The move resulted in a very awkward layout with parts of the Swell and Pedal organs difficult or impossible to tune. With generous assistance from the Heritage Lottery Fund, the organ is being rebuilt in the spirit of Hill but with a modern mechanical action. A new pedal soundboard and reconfigured swell soundboard will solve the accessibility problems. The decorated case pipes are being restored in Bristol by the conservators Elizabeth Holford Associates. Now in work in the factory and due for completion in the autumn 2015.
- Skills and Facilities
- Contact Us