The organ in the Church of St Michael and All Angels, Moccas, was built in 1872 and 1873 by the London firm of J.W. Walker & Sons Ltd. It was installed during the course of a comprehensive restoration of the church building by George Gilbert Scott Jr. This organ replaced a previous instrument built by Samuel Green in 1786, which was moved to Dinmore Manor in 1871 and happily survives today in Croft Castle, Herefordshire.
The organ is housed in an ornate case at the west end of the building. In 1972, the organ was comprehensively altered by Anthony Wordsell of Clun; the tonal scheme was altered to reflect the neoclassical fashions of the day. The work was not a success, and in 1978 we were called in to make the organ playable and return something of the original sound.
In January 2020, we commenced a comprehensive restoration of the organ, which was completed in October 2020. It was a privilege to collaborate with other specialist restorers in this project: the exquisite casework decoration was restored by the International Fine Arts Conservation Studios, Bristol, and the Bailey’s Patent water engine was restored to working condition, with a new recirculating system, by the Duplex Pipe Organ and Blower Co.