1901 Lewis & Co. / 1962 Hill, Norman & Beard IV/70
New electrical systems and restoration of console 2020
The Bute Hall is the graduation hall of the University of Glasgow and was designed by George Gilbert Scott. In 1901, a four-manual organ by Lewis & Co. of London was built in a fine case in the west gallery of the hall.
The organ was dramatically rebuilt in 1962 by Hill, Norman & Beard, with many tonal changes reflecting the fashions of the day towards a neo-classical style. A new detached console was provided in a side gallery.
As phase 2 of a planned three-phase project to restore the organ, we will be undertaking major work on the instrument. The console will be removed for complete restoration and upgrading, including a new piston capture system and modern playing aids. A new solid-state electrical transmission will also be installed.
The consultant for the work is Paul Hale.