In July 2018, we completed a complete restoration of the 1885 Nicholson & Lord organ in All Saints’ Church, Dilhorne, Staffordshire. The organ retains its original mechanical key and stop action. In the 1950s local firm John Oakes and Son converted the original lever expression pedal to the Swell Organ to a balanced type, and replaced the original flat parallel pedalboard with a radiating concave type. This work was done well and was therefore retained in our restoration.
Atmospheric conditions inside the church building were relatively damp for decades. A recent refurbishment introduced underfloor heating that transformed the building. Both Great and Swell Organ soundboards were severely impaired by splits, shrinkage and warping, however. It was therefore decided to retain the pallets and upperboards, but the wells, grids, tables, slides and bearers were made new, in an exact replica of the original but in modern materials better able to withstand modern heating systems. Rotten wind trunks were replaced with new.
Console and casework
Pedal Bourdon chest